Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Char 2.0

One of the best ways to learn how to do anything is to find someone who does it well and copy their style. A search for "disney faces" brings up some really weird stuff… but sifting and narrowing down sometimes yields sketches of various expressions that are quite useful to practice from.

Basically, if I don't know how to draw something, I've discovered that a good way to figure it out is to just find a picture of it and copy it.

Remember when I promised to post a new picture of Char after I figured out his hair? Well, I was copying some drawings of Flynn (from Tangled), and I started trying to meld his expressions with Char's face, and these pictures happened. I also figured out a new way of rendering curly hair (curly boy hair, at least), which I like quite a bit.


ella enchanted
Ella meets Prince Charmont at her mother's funeral, where he tells her, "You can call me Char."

A similar exercise yielded some nice sketches of a favorite secondary character. Can you guess who it is? :) Tune in next time!

Blogger Pro Tip: Did you know you can click the tags at the bottom of a post to see all posts involving, for instance, Char? Try it out!

UPDATE: Finally got around to coloring this! He came out looking a bit younger than in the sketch, I think. Maybe because his jaw got rounded out when I traced it (and his eyes are a little bigger). He's supposed to be like seventeen, though, so this may be right on the money.


ella enchanted
"Even my father calls me Char."

2 comments:

  1. I guess Areida. That's my guess. I'm guessing that you drew Areida.

    It's a guess.

    ReplyDelete